Our PT Youth Committee, has turned into a remarkable group of committed and thoughtful young leaders representing a variety of schools around the Washington, DC, Maryland and Virginia area.
We have a network of Alums who have graduated and are now college students representing schools such as Davidson, Brown, University of Maryland, Tulane, University of Virginia, and Virginia Tech.
Project Turquoise Youth Committee meets once a month. Building on our PT Mission which is committed to raising awareness and supporting the short-term and long-term needs of displaced families locally and abroad, our Youth Committee raises awareness in our community by holding events to discuss the effects of these conflicts on communities within the US and abroad. We raise funds to help affected communities and organize service trips to deliver services, make long lasting connections, share learning and exchange cultures. Please email us at email@example.com if you are interesteed in getting involved.
- Purchased $12,000 worth of shoes to distribute to remedial schools across Camp Za’atari and Camp Azraq.
- Developed peer-to-peer projects for teens to engage with their Syrian counterparts in Relief International’s Social Innovation Labs (SILs).
- Coordinated and managed 3 movie screenings at Busboys & Poets.
- Annual bake sales, caramel apple sales and pizza sales at 16 area-wide schools marking Human Rights Day.
- Managed letter writing campaigns at 16 area-wide schools.
- Designed and sold three distinct Project Turquoise T-shirt Campaigns in their communities.
- Held two annual 5K runs to raise funds for kids’ shoes in the camps in 2018 & in 2019 for an Education Fund for Refugee Children.
- Held Restaurant Night fundraisers throughout the school year.
- Supported Lavender Harvest sale by harvesting and selling lavender from a local donor.
- Held Social Innovation Challenges and peer-to-peer Skype Calls with Camp Zaatari students.
- Raised funds for groceries for local refugee families in Riverdale, Maryland during pandemic.
- Designed and sold Project Turquoise face masks and donated proceeds to MAPS schools which educate Syrian refugee children in Lebanon.
- Organized and ran webinar fundraiser highlighting both refugee and advocate voices in discussion on impact of COVID on refugee communities locally and globally.
The Youth Committee is looking to expand and add to our ever growing list of members and schools. To become part of this committed group of members please reach out to either of our co-leaders: Tara (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Cyrus (email@example.com)